Monday, September 10, 2007

Turning a Negative into a Positive 101

Here is an announcement and the cause of the primary discussion among the message boards:

http://cdd.blogspot.com/2007/09/clay-ruben-kimberley-to-reunite-on-road.html

The debated "negatives" seem to be whether this is a good move for Clay's career and the secondary concern being that we are so greedy when it comes to Clay. Yes, we love to spend our money on an all Clay concert because, in spite of some of the arguments being used, the truth is that we can't get enough of HIM. For 12 hours straight he could stand and smile between songs and banter but it still wouldn't be enough Clay. There's just no such thing as too much Clay Aiken for his fans yet we may be asked again to take part in "sharing".

"Sharing" is not our favorite thing BUT here is some positive fodder to think about:

Remember when we heard that the three who became close friends vowed to be the last 3 standing even though all three were coming from Group 2? The likelihood of that happening was pretty slim yet there they were: Clay, Kim and Ruben made good on their promise and they finished their amazing medley to the chant of 2, 2, 2, 2. The audience at the AI Finale and at home remembered Group 2. Was I the only one who felt something special when the three of them were beaming in smiles during that chant? I don't think so. What started out as a hateful competition on the boards, purposely provoked by the judges and the AI machine, melted away during that medley....at least for 99.9% of us.

There are major opportunities presenting themselves here with this possible reunion tour. I've had it up to my eyeballs with those critics who are still in the snot nosed stage of life; those who laud the humping look-alike lipsynchs as credible and who bash the Idols as fabricated. Duhhhh... Say What? The humpers have nothing on Clay as he has some of the best pelvic action known to womankind but demmit the boy can sing and toss a zinger with great comedic timing too. Not sure I'd want to see Ruben's or Kim's hip thrusting but Lawd, Jesus! they can sang. I'm sure their die hard fans would be thrilled by a wiggle or two.

Think about it! The tour would come on the heels of another miserable fiasco caught on national television.... it's called the MTV Awards.

*Quick aside:

Dear Snot Noses, Radio, Label Moguls, Clear Channel and Clones,

Please don't make me sit through another year of Billboards, Grammies, and MTV bombs. Can we go back to recognizing excellence instead of payola, please?

This brings me to the TV opportunity. Wouldn't it be nice if one of the networks or PBS were "persuaded" to pick the best performances and banter from this tour and televise a "SPECIAL". I think it would sweep the ratings and propel three REAL singers to the forefront of the entertainment industry despite the efforts that have been made to squelch them. Of course, it wouldn't hurt the AI machine either but I'll puke on that one another day. Hopefully, there will come a time when Clive is outed and some Brits are deported for racketeering but in the interim I'll take a TV Special featuring REAL talent.

I want to look on the bright side of this lemonade stand. What might look like one step back could very well prove to be 3 steps forward. I think the MTV barf fest indicates that the time is right for cleaning up the industry and THIS, dear folks, is why TPTB have been so afraid of Clay Aiken. They have been shaken to the core because they knew that a Diamond in the rough with Titanium balls was stronger than dirt.

Think about it! A blockbuster tour and a ratings sweep by three talented, wholesome beings and their crew! What a big FUCK YOU to the entertainment gurus so I'll close by telling those gurus to pull my finger.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry oh crap. I often agree with you but definitely not this round. The last thing in the world Clay's career needs is to be seen, once again, as just someone that was on a tired old TV reality show. All this does is make sure no one forgets it. AI is history as far as his career goes and should stay there. All those things you said he could do with this proposed tour, is something he can do without carrying Kim and Ruben. I really can't think of anything less appealing than this. Just no, Clay.

Oh Crap said...

I respect and accept your opinion. That was my first gut reaction and then a lot of what ifs popped up in my mind.

Anonymous said...

Great blog oh crap.You could be right, but my first reaction was
omg NO...Not that I don't like
Rub and Kim, I do, but like you said you can't have to much Clay
Aiken....that aside, I trust Clay.
He hasn't been wrong yet.

Anonymous said...

People have forgotten how good Ruben and Clay sing together. Besides if Clay does the "TOUR," it will be something HE wants to do.

I remember a quote from Clay awhile back that really applies here. He said "My life is my own but people want to make it theirs."– Clay Aiken.

Anonymous said...

You know, oh crap, I had the same initial reaction -- OH NO! But after thinking about it, I think there are definitely positives (aside from the fact that Clay may really want to do it just for the fun of performing again with his friends). The fact is that no matter how hard he tries he will always be a product of AI. This might be a point where he can actually take advantage of them (for a change). Why not get some exposure, make some money, and have some fun. I honestly think too much is being made of this and I definitely do not think it's a career-ending move (as is being said on some websites). When all is said and done, Clay will do what Clay wants to do and what he thinks is good for him. I hope that never changes. He's made some pretty good decisions so far!

Oh Crap said...

Yes, one way to look at it is that listening to the three of them sure beats the piss out of radio choices.

Anonymous said...

It would be a great move for Clay if he is interested in career suicide.

Anonymous said...

I can't help but think it is a bad move career wise. But I definately would buy a ticket to see it if they come to my area.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for bringing up some positives for this potential reunion tour. Your honesty and ability to think outside of the box makes your blog one of my favorites to read. My iniatial reaction was YUCK and WTF?? Now,I'm trying to be a little more open minded. My first choice is to see CLAY and ONLY CLAY. I HATE him sharing the stage--I'm greedy that way. However---Clay is not greedy and sharing the stage seems to make him happy---especially with his friends. I do believe that Kim and Ruben are his friends---especially Ruben. I would much rather he shared the stage with trusted friends than some pro tooled fake top 40 types or some unknown wanabes. If Clay can't tour next year because of album delays and what not---I would rather have this chance to see Clay than none at all. As far as career suicide---I can't predict that and only want the best for him. I am not privy to the reasons that lead to his career decisions and what ultimately motivates him. The only control I have is to SUPPORT his career efforts in hopes of securing his opportunity for more. I have enjoyed all of Clay's efforts so far--some more than others.